Four Horse Road 2020
Travel across time and space, and inhabit forgotten worlds.
The gates of Four Horse Road are open once again.
Spanning over 150 years of Singapore history, Four Horse Road is an intimate experience on an epic scale. Rediscover our present through the lens of the past and journey across three heritage buildings along Waterloo Street.
This time, it’s bigger and better. The Theatre Practice’s unforgettable promenade theatre experience returns with a mix of brand new stories and crowd favourites.
Welcome back to Four Horse Road.
Dates: 25 & 26.03.2020
Venue: The Theatre Practice (54 Waterloo Street, S187953)
Multilingual performance with no surtitles
Kuo Jian Hong
Assistant Director (Director: Orang Minyak/The Temple and The Hotel)
Petrina Dawn Tan
Props Designer & Set Dressing
Chan Lee Lee
Lighting & Multimedia Designer
Make Up Designer
The Make Up Room
Prologue Video Production Team
Abby Lai Ka Hei
Ahamed Ali Khan
Ang Xiao Ting
Goh Guat Kian
Liz Sgt Tan
Ng Mun Poh
Vester Ng Kian Soon
Dear Fellow Traveller,
Like many before you, I’ve discovered that travel truly broadens the mind and unlocks new lenses to look at the world. Sometimes all it takes is a different viewpoint to reveal our assumptions and how little we question them.
Filled with forgotten stories and imagined realities, the worlds of Four Horse Road looks beyond history painted in broad strokes, to offer a different perspective.
As we travel across time and space, we have the privilege to see a spectrum of experiences and circumstances play out. The human experience is complex. Within a single event – there are people who’ve suffered and people who’ve thrived. At the same time, human nature is simple. Joy, anger, fear, hope… our choices have always been ruled by our base instincts. Faced with this complexity, is there really a singular or fixed version of history? Is it fair for us to pass judgement on the past?
Back in the present, we appear to be in the middle of a major event ourselves. Amidst the panic and uncertainty of the COVID-19 pandemic, what were the choices we made? Ten years later, how will we look back on this period? It’s times like now where the importance of history and art reveals itself. Author Toni Morrison said it best:
“This is precisely the time when artists go to work. There is no time for despair, no place for self-pity, no need for silence, no room for fear. We speak, we write, we do language. This is how civilisations heal.”
As storytellers and world builders, it is our nature to imagine and play. What is the future we have envisioned? What can we learn from the past? As we re-examine our relationship to the rest of the world, it is more important than ever to keep “traveling”. Be open-minded. Ask questions. Remain curious.
Thank you for journeying with us.
Kuo Jian Hong
Artistic Director of The Theatre Practice
Four Horse Road 2020 unfolds across multiple locations. As part of the performance, audiences will be required to move around, climb stairs, stand and sit on the ground for prolonged periods.
- Audiences are advised to wear comfortable clothes and shoes.
- Please arrive early (at least 40 minutes before show time) to allow adequate time for temperature screening, bag checks, and bag deposit before the show.
- All audience members must take temperature, sanitise hands and fill in the Travel & Health Declaration Form upon arrival.
- Please bring your own surgical mask if required; masks will not be provided.
- Please do not carry large bags/items to the performance.
- All bags will be subjected to security checks upon entry
- Bags are not permitted within the performance and must be stored in the lockers provided.
- Personal belongings (including wallets and phones) will be locked in pouches provided by Practice, throughout the duration of the performance.
- Please note that there are no lifts within the performance premises.
- Audience members should download the TraceTogether app before attending the show.
- Due to the nature of the performance, latecomers will not be admitted.
- Patrons who do not comply with the house rules will be denied entry.